Thursday, December 20, 2007

Googlization of Everything

Although this initiative is not the first to use blogging as form for writing a book, it is one of the most recent that I have come across and it is about a topic relevant to all of us: Google. The working title, "The Googlization of Everything; How One Company is Disrupting Commerce, Culture and Community…and Why We Should Worry" says it all, but the first paragraphs of the first post on 27 September 2007 elaborate further:

"Hi. Welcome to my new book. Well, it's not a book yet. In fact, it will not be a real book for a long time.

As you can tell from the title of this blog, the book will be about Google and all they ways that Google is shaking up the world. Google is a transformative and revolutionary company. I hesitate to use terms like that. We live in an era of hyperbole. So I try my best to discount claims of historical transformation or communicative revolutions.

But in the case of Google, I am confident it is both.

Now, I am approaching this book as both a fan and a critic. I am in awe of all that Google has done and all it hopes to do. I am also wary of its ambition and power."

The development of this project is well worth watching, given the scholarly accomplishments of its initiator, Siva Vaidhyanathan.

No comments: