While enjoying my Sunday morning surfing exercise, I came across Ames Chat, what appears to be a team blog of library specialists who were active during the second half of 2007. There have been no posts in 2008, so I suspect the group is either dormant or disbanded. That is unfortunate because many of the 'discovery' posts on the site reflect the kind of queries we, the Ljubljana seminar group, have – or at least queries that I have….
I'll repost and update several of the items in the coming days from this blog, but here I just want to focus on a single contribution about an initiative called Open Library. In addition to the standard (and beautiful) website describing the objectives and activities of the initiative, there is a book-like version that is particularly informative and attractive:
Wednesday, August 8, 2007
Story from InsideHigherEd.com:
"Open Library is a new online tool for finding information about books – even (perhaps especially) for titles that are out-of-print, scarce, or likely to find one reader per decade, if even that. It is, so to speak, a catalog with benefits. If a text is available in digital format, there is a link. you to it. Citations and excerpts from reviews will be available. Likewise, cross-references to other works on related topics. A user of Open Library can see the cover of the book and, in some cases, search the contents."
1 comment:
Open Library - that is what I call a vision. I had a conversation with Jan and Saso on a similar topic of offering pdf files of whole books ... Great stuff, great vision. I have checked out the Archive.org and searched for "journalism". There is only one word to desrcribe it - wow! The diversity of the content ...
Post a Comment