In a recent thread on the SLED (Second Life Educators discussion list) suggestions were given to someone interested in upgrading his computer system to make better use of virtual worlds like Second Life. Below is the 'dream list' of several respondents. SLED, by the way, is an excellent list for exchange about conducting research in Second Life and some other virtual worlds adapted for educational purposes.
I have been given the opportunity to upgrade my work computer. My job entails website work, working on the ILS, keeping up with Second Life, and many other technology related tasks. On a typical day I will have any where from 3 to 7 active windows, one of which is an internet browser with between 2 and 10 active webpages. I tend to put a lot of strain on the computer. I also have a lot of stuff on the computer (I tend to keep back ups of almost everything on my computer). Lately I have found that this computer cannot keep up with the strain, especially while trying to use Second Life, and it slows to a crawl. My supervisor is going to allow me to upgrade and I need to find out what to upgrade to. This is where I want your help. I know about programs and programming and other fun stuff like that but my knowledge of computer specs is limited. If anyone has ideas about what type of computer I should get or what specs it should have I would really appreciate that input. In short I need a computer that can handle Second Life and a lot of multitasking, and probably both at the same time. What are my best options? Thank you in advance for your input.
Max out your memory
Then your hard disk
Then your CPU
Then a graphics card
Then a sound card
In that order
I agree … in emphasizing the importance of an nVidia (or ATI Radeon) video card that matches SL system requirements. However, I disagree on the sound card. Given the excellent audio that is available on the net and through SL these days, a sound card that provides a stereo line in, as well as a stereo line out, and the usual speaker/headphone sockets, would be a real plus, and probably not too expensive.
My recommendations and suggested order are different.
1. Buy a video card that supports two monitors. I use an nVidia 7600 - cost about $100. If you can afford a better card, go for it.
2. Buy a second monitor (or two new monitors) I use 2 19" LCD monitors. Indispensable when running multiple apps. SL on one, web, mail, PS, Word, whatever on the second. SL with Windlight is a tad slow but not too bad.
3. Upgrade system RAM to 2 GB.
4. Maybe upgrade your CPU. I use a lower end Core2Duo. Works fine.
5. A fast dedicated HD will help some. I have one SATA 7200 rpm 100-something gig drive. Seems fine.
6. Skip the sound card. I use plain old on board audio - works great. I get spatial voice in SL, stereo for iTunes, and crappy sound from YouTube. What else do you need? .
No comments:
Post a Comment